Old 06-03-19, 11:10 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I am about your height and weight and had been using Continental GP4000SII in 28mm and now am using Compass Chinook Pass Standards in 28mm. I will go to 32s when they are done. The Contis were great, and very, very sticky in damp, but the Compass (now Rene Herse) ride better, plus they have tan sidewalls. They are made by Panaracer for Rene Herse Cycles.

I have not had any flats with either, but I do use "tire wipers" or "flint catchers." (https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...c/tire-wipers/) I have used the tire wipers since my old tubular days in the 1970s. When I sold my 1973 Fuji I forgot to remove them and found the Rene Herse versions. I have found the Contis do pick up more grit and road dirt, but the wipers do their thing. The Conti 28s actually measure 30mm on my A23 rims. The Compass are 28mm.

Some scoff at the tire wipers as old school or useless, but they have worked for me for many years mainly on road riding. Plus they are good conversation starters. I do not do curb jumping and am also careful and look out for holes and debris on the road, and if riding towpaths, I will stop and walk real bad spots.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 06-03-19 at 11:14 PM.