Old 06-12-19, 09:05 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm 5' 10" and went from 198 lb to 170 lb last winter, so I feel like I'm good.

Thanks. I'm going to email them but here is the rub...

The bike is fixed gear and the hubs use 15 mm track nuts. To be clear, it isn't a track bike and will never be ridden on the velodrome. It is used exclusively for road riding.

As a general rule, track hubs are not light but the ones on the bike now are about the lightest available - 176 g front/224 g rear - and go for about $150/pair. ProWheelBuilder would build the wheels around them with whatever rim, spoke and nipple I choose.

The front could use a traditional road quick release but I'm not going to save much weight and it would drive up cost. I want matchy-matchy hubs for the sake of pride anyway.

If a company like Light would build a wheelset around my hubs with their rims at $700 and they came close to 1300 grams then I'd go for it.

-Tim-
Since the weight savings is at the rim (furthest out from the axle), You get the most benefit, but if affects acceleration. If you're not riding your fixie on a velodrome, then how important is acceleration? I wouldn't think much, hence you won't feel much difference.