cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thoughts on a touring bike?

Hi all,
I've been going in circles in considering a touring bike.
I recently got back on a bike after 25 years as a means to lose weight. I've dropped close to 45lbs so far, and in riding I revived a long latent desire to go touring that I had back in my college days. I've become rather obsessed with this idea. And while I'm glad I was able to get a bike and lose weight, i think I bought the wrong bike now that I'm developing some cycling goals beyond not being hugely fat.

So, here's some of my desires:
1) a bike capable of carrying me and my bulk (I'm currently at a smidgen over 300lb and dropping - but it will be a looong time till I'm under 250). 36 spoke minimum I think.
2) a competent road bike with appropriate touring gearing
3) there are a number of reclaimed rail beds near me that trace central MA and Southern NH. But from what I have gleaned about these trails they can be pretty rough and have some muddy stretches. This is where I feel I'm under biked right now. My current bike will only handle 34mm tire max, and that with no fenders - which I would like to have.
4) Roads near me are ROUGH. Potholes are a thing here. We take pride in our lack of road maintenance...
5) I will not be mountain biking, though may use bike packing gear as I think I'll be more of a credit card tour kind of guy and will limit the gear and weight I'm hauling. I still want to maintain an option for racks front and rear though for the future.
6) I'm not likely to be doing touring in far flung places, so I don't have tire size considerations to worry about.
7) I really want to do some winter riding next year. Another reason I'd like some large tire capacity.
  • My best guess right now is a Surly Troll - maybe built up from a frame - but I'm not clear on how well it runs on the roads where I'm likely to spend most of my time.
  • Another option is a surly Disk Trucker with 26" wheels so I could run 2" tires. Will this run well on the rail trails?
  • Looked at the Salsa Marrakesh also - but again... tire size
  • Other?
Thanks for the feedback,
Matt

Last edited by cobalt123; 02-18-19 at 09:39 PM.