View Single Post
Old 08-21-19, 07:04 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
I did it too

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I apologize, but I must be the old, crusty guy.
As kids on our Swingers, Mustangs, etc; those poor bikes saw a heck of a lot worse. We rode not only through water, but into water, we left them in the rain and other than some rust on the chrome, there were very few problems.
Today, with sealed bearings and water proof grease, people act like water is instant death for a bike (not just this thread).
The high pressure of the inner tubes will have blocked most water from entering.
All cables are pretty much stainless.
Periodic maintenance will take care of your bearings and such.
It's a bike, it's meant to be fun.
Have fun
Yep, I did all the same stuff. My old SuperSport that I have had for over 40 years has been through it all too. Just now getting into some nicer bikes at this stage of my life, so just learning things on a different level. It did give me an opportunity to do some wheel maintenance besides the bearings that I did already. All was well inside with no water in rear and just about a half teaspoon in front. I took off the 35 year old glued on rim strips and cleaned it all up with WD-40 and used some 0000 steel wool on it all.

This old Trek is perhaps a blessing, as it is a bit less than perfect so I can learn some things and not be too afraid to change things more to my liking.