Old 03-13-19, 10:41 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I love my old bikes and have spent a fair chunk keeping them all in good condition. It has been worth it. I would have done the same as you for your Trek, MinnMan.
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I don't think it was stupid. Look at the alternatives. You looked for a used replacement and came up empty. Even if you had found something, it may have also needed repairs/maintenance. You could also bought a new bike, which certainly would cost you more than $500 and if used the same way as your old bike, would eventually need maintenance/repairs.

If you like the bike and use it, I don't see anything wrong in putting some money into it.
You guys are making me feel much better.

As I said at the outset, I know a lot of the cost was doing this at the LBS instead of myself, but the reality is that beyond replacing the chain and a few other things, I don't have the time or the commitment to be my own wrench. And I can't complain about paying a skilled mechanic what he or she is worth.