Old 05-18-20, 06:55 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by koenbro
I am a newbie and need some schooling in tires. Have had a Trek FX4 Carbon Sport for about two weeks and love the way it feels. Riding mostly on urban paths, with asphalt or concrete surface and the stock Bontrager R2 Hard-Case Lite Road Tire is fast.

On Saturday I came upon a short interconnect with hard packed soil and sand in some areas, and I fell, because I lost traction and control. I am sure a more skilled rider would have handled it, but that made me think about getting a tire that can handle a broader terrain. I realize there is no ideal tire, but would like to understand the trade-offs in tire choice and get some example recommendations. I looked for tires with smooth crown (is that the word?) and knobs on the side. For example:Price is irrelevant, I'd rather have a top end choice and am ready to pay for quality and performance; no point in saving a few bucks and increase the risk of falling.

The second question is about width. My stock tires are 32 mm wide, and while I do NOT intend to go full MTB/beach cruiser, can I put wider tires and on the rims? The front fork has a 46 mm clearance, so I was wondering if 35mm width adds some options.

All I want is a bit more confident grip on the occasional sandy or loose gravel patch. Puncture resistance is a must in Arizona. Light weight is the third criterion.

Any suggestion is gratefully appreciated.
Go tubeless for the puncture resistance. As for size, measure how much space is available around your current tires and guesstimate how big you can go. The tightest spot is usually at the chainstays behind the bottom bracket. Get the biggest tire you can that will leave about a 1/4" space between tire and frame.

Some other tires to consider: WTB Riddler and Panaracer Gravelking SK.
Likes For tyrion: