View Single Post
Old 08-02-20, 02:14 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'll do that in three situations, maybe more that have slipped my mind.

1. I'm near the end of a commute, stopped at a light in the Summer morning sunshine, and don't want to walk in with a sweaty head.

2. I decided during a ride against the hard training I had planned, and don't need the helmet at the relaxed pace and deserted streets.

3. I went to a group or event which requires a helmet but I wanted a faster or longer ride afterwards and don't really need it.
None of those seem like very good reasons to me.
1. I of course don't know, but many of the people I see aren't anywhere near someplace they're likely to be going to work. And if you've been sweating, you're going to be sweaty. A few minutes without a helmet aren't going to change it. Good grief! A SWEATY HEAD!
2. You're just as likely to bash your head when NOT doing "hard training". It's never going to happen when you expect it. On the MUP I sometimes go on (I totally stay away from those places during the pandemic) a real danger is being caused problems by the various idiots you may come across: walking, running, running with a baby carriage, roller blades, skate boards and of course, other cyclists. And it doesn't take that much to wind up hitting your head on the pavement.
3. I didn't know that riding a helmet makes you slower, but I would suspect that if it does, it's not very much. I've been riding for 21 years, and I always wear a helmet. I have NEVER ONCE hit my head, but I know that I'm safer with a helmet, t even though there are things that a helmet can't protect me from. God, I hate to think of all the precious seconds of speed I've lost over 21 years of helmet wearing, and all of the humiliation I've been dealt by having a "sweaty head". My approach to the sweaty head for when I commute is the towel in my office that I wipe my head off with.
Likes For dkatz1: