Old 10-31-20, 09:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Switch to platform pedals and shoes with relatively stiff soles for support. After minor adaptation to your pedaling stroke you won't notice any difference in average speed or perceived effort.

I switch between clipless and platform pedals on my bikes. Zero difference, other than minor adjustments to my pedaling style if I haven't ridden one or the other for more than a week or so. Some of my fastest road bike times remain those I did on then-new bikes that I didn't yet have clipless pedals for and just hopped on and rode with flat pedals.

The main adaptation I make is to mash a bit harder and follow through more with lifting the opposite leg on the upswing, since I can't physically lift the pedal without foot retention. When that happens on my bikes with flat pedals it reminds me that my clipless pedaling has gotten a bit sloppy, if I'm actually relying on pulling up the pedals while spinning uphill or sprinting.

GCN has done at least three comparisons over the years and while their testers and methodology change a bit the results are the same: very little difference between foot retention and free-footing it with platform pedals.

The main reason I still use clipless on some road bikes is for the supportive shoes with very rigid soles. Helps reduce my lifelong tendency toward painful arch spasms, and occasionally sympathetic calf and thigh cramps after the arch cramps begin.

And foot retention is a bit better for spinning above 100 rpm on high cadence drills. But my average cadence has gradually dropped from 90 rpm to 75 rpm, and I don't need foot retention to maintain a smooth cadence at 60-75 rpm.

And I dislike using foot retention in traffic or casual group rides. I always try to switch to a bike with platform pedals for those occasions. Much less hassle, no need to worry about a cleat slipping on loose sandy gravel on the pavement, or dodging erratic newbies in casual group rides. Much easier to just set a foot down to keep balance.

I was diagnosed with premature osteopenia a couple of years ago, due to a thyroid imbalance, and after a lifetime of avoiding broken bones finally began experiencing fractures from impacts that barely left a bruise when I was younger. So if my next lab tests and imaging scans don't show any improvement in bone density I may just quit foot retention completely to minimize the risk of falling.
Likes For canklecat: