Old 11-15-20, 04:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Different topic but I agree “fake” miles on Zwift don’t count. Not everyone is on board with this.
i count certain simulated miles. i wrote an application to re-ride some rides i have done in the past during the off weather days (it came in handy during the smokey days here in reno). in order to get the ride to feel right there is a fair amount of processing of a .fit file. i make sure that the elevation climbed is the same and bias the grade in the positive direction to make sure the ride is a tad more difficult than reality. what i find is that the distance is the same and the feet climbed is very nearly the same. the grade in a lot of places is exaggerated but not too much. so, for example, a real ride was ~22 miles and took me ~2 hr 10 min to complete, the simulated version was ~20 miles and ~2 hr 4 mins. shorter distance and time because i needed to stop early to shower and eat. based on that i find that simulated rides are about the same as real.

workouts are a different story though. the number of miles in a workout can be crazy high. these miles come from the trainer and i don't get their algorithm, there is certainly work being done but maybe best to consider only about 1/2 distance if any.