View Single Post
Old 10-05-18, 01:58 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pub
Does anyone or did anyone feel embarrassed at first when riding around on a bike?
To be honest I am and that comes from a few reasons.

1st, I’m paranoid that people are watching me because to see a Clyde on a bike is not the norm here, at least I have never seen it.

2nd, I’m not a fast rider, in fact I am anything but. I just like to take my time while others go at the speed of sound. And that makes me more paranoid because I keep thinking people are laughing at me going slower than them because I’m a Clyde.

3rd, I’m going through the learning process of getting the gears right for what I want to do. So when I come to an incline, I am sometimes not in the right gear and by the time I have figured it out its too late and I can’t pedal so have to get off. Another reason for being paranoid and looking a fool.

4th, I’m not confident that a bike will hold up to my weight (310) and the last thing I want is to have to get off because of a broken something or other and have to push it home. More paranoia – Clyde pushing a bike because he broke it!!

Am I being totally stupid here?
There may be a few people laughing at your size on a bike. Get over it.. There are people that would laugh at a billionaire because he doesn't know what he's doing.

Most people would appreciate that you're attempting to get your health back and perhaps your weight down to a healthier level.

When I restarted riding I was a physical wreck. I had no endurance from inactivity. I had the gout from various foods but especially from anything that had chocolate in it. I am and EE and my fingers were beginning not to work properly when I was typing. And other things more personal. After I began riding I began to recover from all of that. I can actually eat a chocolate bar again without pain in the area of my left small toe so that I can barely limp. I rode 47 miles yesterday and a high average for city streets with only a single stop for a breakfast sandwich at a GREAT café washed down with coffee. Today after some 40 years of riding I can say that my health has never been better though of course my performance suffers each year from increasing age. I have watched all of the old deserted country roads disappear over the years and housing projects fill them with roads and cars driving at high speed. I'm not particular fond of that but everyone to their own.

Welcome to the brotherhood of the wheel.