Old 07-20-19, 11:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I need the benefits of the real C&V pedal systems though I often get there by other means. No-float. My knees not only want no float, they want my feet forcibly toed-in. The system developed probably around 1895 for racing works very well for me, rattrap style pedals and slotted cleats. I do use the modern Exustar cleat set up top mount on LOOK compatible 3-bolt shoes and use Shimano 600 semi-platform pedals and make big pick-up tabs but the concept and riding is super old-school.

I also use LOOK Delta compatibles (FORTE) and the LOOK or Wellgo black (no-float) cleats. Riding I see no difference between the two. The LOOK style offers un-cleating without having to remember to loosen the laces. Toeclips, straps and traditional cleats are FAR MORE secure pedaling fast downhill on a fix gear, something I do a lot.

I also use MTB SPDs for my gravel/geared winter/rain/city bike. For that I have to crank in absolute max rotation of the right cleat and a lot on the left to keep my knees happy. Also set the release to tight. They work but not ideal.

Needing no-float puts me in a minority. Also rules out a lot of pedal types. The good news is that it has freed up a lot of those Shimano 600s!

Ben