Old 07-21-19, 12:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Look Delta and Shimano SPD-SL. The designs are pretty similar. Better than the toe clips and cleated Detto Pietros I used decades ago.

Look has more float, easier to clip in and out -- more positive snappy feel. Tricky to walk in. Feels like backward high heels.

Shimano is easier to walk in. Clipping in and out feels a bit mushy compared with the Look. Less float but still adequate. Better for halfway pedaling without clipping in -- the SPD-SL has little rubbery feet that grab the pedal.

I like the larger cleats and rigid sole shoes for better foot support. I get arch cramps and hotspots on the metatarsals unless everything is jussst-so.

Both cleats/pedals retain well. Occasionally I pull up on the pedal when standing to climb. Never pulled out of a pedal yet (and hope I never do -- that would be painful). Both are equally tricky to clip into. Usually takes me 2 or 3 tries to clip in. Some folks manage it the first time but I rarely do.

Most folks I ride with prefer Shimano SPD mountain biking type cleats/shoes. Easier to walk with, adequate foot retention. Some of them switch to SPD-SL or Look for races -- local crits, time trials.

I know a few folks who use other cleat/pedal systems, but they mostly seem to be into mountain biking.