Old 08-12-20, 10:19 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Bicycle tires are typically pumped up to higher psi than car tires and even motorcycle tires...Higher pressure means higher air loss through the rubber.

Bicycle tubes (and tires) are also thinner than car and motorcycle tires, which allows air to escape more rapidly.

Bike tires (even tubeless) don't have such a tight interface at the bead, which makes it possible (usually easy) to mount them at home. That looser connection allows more air to escape. Car tires are mounted much more tightly to the rim - so tightly that it takes shop equipment to do the job. I believe some larger motorcycle tires are the same. That tighter bead interface holds air more effectively.

So, in other words, we are "conditioned to be OK with this" because it beats the alternative -- which would be much heavier tires, pumped to insufficiently low psi, which have to be installed by a shop with special equipment and skills.

No. TL bicycle tires use a liquid sealant and a specific rim strip. Much, much different than car tires.

On one of my bikes still running tubes (Airstops w/ GP5000s) I don’t have to add any air for weeks at a time. They stay within <2psi of lost pressure in 20-25 days, and that’s with a gauge check @ there’d if the three week+ interval. So, no- bike tires are not supposed to leak.