View Single Post
Old 09-21-20, 07:47 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by brasio
I think I will need to test some bikes in a shop. I'm realizing that a do-it-all bike does not exist. My 'big dilemma' is about the suspension fork. I have always had one, I find it confortable even when I use my bike to go to my office in my city, which is a full of potholes paved road. I have had in the past a cargo bike too (kona ute) with a rigid fork, I used to bring my children to school with it, but it was not a confortable experience, too many vibrations on my hands, and eventually I sold it. I should test a bike with a rigid fork and large tires, I have no idea how much they can dampen vibrations, what happen with potholes, what is the confort in an offroad trek and roll resistance of large tires in paved road.
brasio, if you have always had a suspension fork and find even city riding too uncomfortable with a rigid fork, it may end up that this is a problem. Realize that sometimes too high tire pressures will make a bicycle uncomfortable and keeping an eye on pressures and trying out different pressures to feel the difference is important.
Some riders never think or care about checking tire pressures, and it requires both an interest and a pressure gauge that works.
just know that often just a bit less pressure in the front tire will result in a less harsh ride and easier on your hands. I live in an extremely potholey city and too high pressure in the front tire, no matter which bike and tire width I'm using, can and will result in a harsh ride.

Another big factor in hand comfort is both handlebar shape and position, as well as better grips that are shaped better for reducing hand pressure, like Ergon grips.

good luck in your quest.
which country by the way?