Old 11-25-20, 11:22 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Seems like the person that my parents were exposed to was asymptomatic for at least a week, maybe a week plus a half, but they did stay in their house for two days.

My brother briefly visited my parents yesterday for maybe 5 minutes, I think he should be okay. But he is also high-risk so there's always some worry.

One curious suggestion while talking to my parents last night was that we come by and pick up all the things they had bought for tomorrows scheduled meal, including a fresh turkey, and make it ourselves.

They know that we are only two people who don't really eat a lot of meat anyways, and they suggest that we just go all in and cook a full traditional Thanksgiving meal

I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do if you gave me a turkey and told me to cook it.
Cook the turkey!

It's not hard. Clean the bird and empty the junk out of the cavity (throw it away unless you want it for something). Stuff the cavity with chopped apple, opinion, celery, and any herbs you might want. You can also change that up to give you a flavor that appeals to you. Brush the outside with olive oil, and sprinkle with ground sea salt and ground coarse pepper. Or, you can rub with any number of things depending on the flavor you want.

Preheat oven to 350.

Put the bird in a roasting pan. When oven is at temp, but the bird in. Use an oven probe in the thigh, and set an alarm for 165 degrees. Some say to tent it with foil to help keep it moist, others don't. If you do, remove the tent about 1/2 hour before it is done (about 155 degrees) to help the breast skin brown. If the leg freely turns in its socket, then the bird is done.

Can't comment on stuffing as that's not my thing.

I've been the turkey cooker in the family for 25 years. I usually smoke them, and if we are having a large group will do several all seasoned and flavored differently. Some that I do fairly consistently are lemon/herb, Cajun spiced with butter injection (my wife is from Louisiana), bourbon brined, and some others that I just make up as I go depending on what's in the house. For smoke flavor I'll use mainly apple with poultry, but have also used hickory, cherry, and mesquite depending on the desired outcome.

Last edited by Mojo31; 11-25-20 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For Mojo31: