SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Thanks. Hope you guys don't mind me pestering...

Do you guys feel that the Titanium Nitride coating on the gold chain is worth it? Does it do anything for longevity or impact the need to clean or maintain it? Does the coating wear off with use? Has anyone run both the gold and silver who could comment on whether the Ti Ni gold is quieter than the nickel plated silver model? Or - be honest now - do most get the gold primarily for looks?

I heard that some high end chains are tough to the point of breaking cheap chain tools. Is this the case with the 710?

Anyone run the KMC X101? How does the 710 compare? The idea of a chain with bushings appeals to me. But $50 for a chain!

The reason I ask is because I'm fixin' to get ready to replace the stock cranks/ring/cog/chain that came on my bike. The build will be complete after that. Not sure how I feel about the look of the gold chain with the rest of the bike being silver but if it is that much better for a few dollars more then it makes sense.

I have a $10.00 KMC Z410 Gold. It isn't listed as Ti Ni, but it's the same coating as the 710 SL, not gold paint.

No funky wear yet. Cleans easily. 100% inaudible, but so are their nickle plated and stainless chains.

Speaking of chains, KMC has a new pimpy looking "Neo-Chrome" for those so inclined. Build a Lava-Lamp headlight and you're all set.