View Single Post
Old 09-19-19, 08:31 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
There is no doubt that cornering at speeds far below the limit is much safer, but it's also slower. As with most things there are trade-offs, and each rider has to decide what's best for them. I corner faster than some people and slower than others, but I wouldn't accuse anyone of doing it wrong unless they were endangering other riders.
This is true and a good example of why the whole discussion about which position is better for braking is just personal perspective.

However, and not to disagree with what you said... to Elcruxio's point. His objection (which I also noted when the particular post happened) is that one can't really talk about how unsafe a hand position is and then promote a (relatively) unsafe braking technique on the other - which is what Terry did.

No doubt some advanced riders who are in a competition (or just wanting to go faster) compromise optimum safety for speed by braking through a curve but, in a general cycling forum, that's not really promoting a "best practice" which seemed to be the motivation for drops advocacy a few pages back. I think the objection was to the juxtaposition, not the technique itself.

If one really wanted to promote safe practices for descending I would say number one, before worrying about hand position or braking through a curve, would be to just slow down. Everything is so much easier if you are not pushing the bicycles design envelope to its limits. Riding an over inflated ego is the most dangerous position for descending IMO.
Likes For Happy Feet: