View Single Post
Old 09-19-19, 11:08 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
This is true and a good example of why the whole discussion about which position is better for braking is just personal perspective.

However, and not to disagree with what you said... to Elcruxio's point. His objection (which I also noted when the particular post happened) is that one can't really talk about how unsafe a hand position is and then promote a (relatively) unsafe braking technique on the other - which is what Terry did.

No doubt some advanced riders who are in a competition (or just wanting to go faster) compromise optimum safety for speed by braking through a curve but, in a general cycling forum, that's not really promoting a "best practice" which seemed to be the motivation for drops advocacy a few pages back. I think the objection was to the juxtaposition, not the technique itself.

If one really wanted to promote safe practices for descending I would say number one, before worrying about hand position or braking through a curve, would be to just slow down. Everything is so much easier if you are not pushing the bicycles design envelope to its limits. Riding an over inflated ego is the most dangerous position for descending IMO.
From what I've read, braking in a corner (actually braking once the bicycle is traversing the corner as opposed to braking BEFORE entering the curve) is learned skill and more so the faster one is riding. I recall reading about a woman who brake hard in a corner whilst descending and the bike straightened up to a vertical position and she went over the edge of the road and down the hill/mountain. She did not have the skill needed to brake whilst riding THROUGH a corner or curve at speed.

Cheers