View Single Post
Old 12-22-19, 07:40 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I use a (gasp) Apple smart phone and google maps for all my navigation. I don’t need to run it continually when on the bike ( it resides in a handlebar bag), just check and remember where the next turn is. Google maps shows most of the bicycle trails and mups in green. I have tried other maps but didn’t like them as well. All maps have errors and shortcomings, so anecdotal evidence like, well I followed my map and it caused me to ride offf a cliff and I almost died isn’t to helpful, which is mostly what you hear about,
if your gps is a Garmin and you could figure out the convoluted menu system in them, I doubt you will have much trouble with any smart phone.
I would also add you can still carry paper maps and a compass, although I haven’t used a paper map in 15 years and my phone has a compass in it.
Good luck with your transformation into the digital world it’s not as hard as it looks. I’m 75 years old and ok (just ok) with it.