View Single Post
Old 08-20-20, 01:28 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson_smyth
My general thought process is to go as light as possible to prevent sweating, but not so light to be cold. This usually means merino baselayer top and bottoms, smartwool socks, fleece, weighted depending on weather, wool cap.
Prevent getting wet at all costs, which usually looks like rubber waders and a breathable jacket.
Based and experience both biking in the rain and winter cycling you're definitely on the right track.

Outer layer - waterproof breathable, like goretex or event fabric
Inner layer (next to skin) - merino wool
Middle layer (extra warmth) - merino wool or fleece

If you have the money to throw at it this will let you be totally comfortable in any cold/wet conditions.

If you need to go cheap, the key is to have a fully waterproof outer layer, then bike slower.
The slower you bike the less sweat you produce and the less breathability is required. You could probably use just a cheap walmart rainjacket if you never get above 5mph.

Originally Posted by wilson_smyth
Im a bit lost as to how to do this when cycling. Ill be commuting so i want to be warm, but not dripping in sweat, as i wont have a different fleece or merino t-shirt for each day of the week!
One nice thing about merino wool is that it's structure is difficult for bateria to stick on so so you can wear it for a while before it starts to pick up a smell.

Temperature wise wool might be the best material for handling a wide range of temperatures, but eventually you need more or less insulation.
Best way to do this is usually to layer things. Have more than 1 thin wool baselayer, wear multiples of them when it's colder, only 1 when it's warmer.
Likes For PaulRivers: