Old 12-17-18, 12:35 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Maybe too late this year but I want to start wintering in Southern Florida, renting somewhere Jan. Feb. We have friends in West Palm, and Sarasota areas so either side OK. First, I'm aware of the bad reputation cycling in Fla. has so whats your take and the best cycling areas? Also any first hand experience with trusted rental agencies? Any input from the "natives" greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Not a native Floridian but I just got back, well last month, from doing the Horrible Hundred in Clermont. Clermont is just SE of the Villages and believe it or not, it is quite hilly there. At least for Florida I guess. Not flat at all and there is quite a variation of hills to flat. Area was close to Orlando but was not totally built up. Very small town but the cycling in this area is really nice. Sugarloaf Mountain, if you can call it that is like the highest point in Florida. That was a very steep climb to the top. I know there is a cycling camp in December that is based out of Clermont so it does appear to be a decent place to cycle. Just as an example, we did 4800 feet of climbing on that century and looking at a bunch of other centuries all over Florida, it is hard to find one that has more than 1000 feet of climbing. So this area is not typical Florida flat.

Anyway, it is close to Tampa and really close to Orlando and as I said, the Villages are just a few clicks away too.

john