Old 09-21-19, 09:45 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
But if you want to gauge hamstring weakness, even light, dumbbell, Romanian deadlifts can show you where you are. They target hamstrings and glutes and minimize quad involvement since you stop before your knees bend too much. Try just 40lbs in each hand, 3x10, maybe even 2x10 if it’s your first time, and your hamstrings may be sore for a couple of days....ced and stronger in general. AlthoughI couldn’t say how specific the benefits are to cycling.
What may be best for physique and overall balance is not be best for going fast cycling. Hamstrings are not so useful for cycling. As such some of the cycling weight trainers do not spec Romainian deadlifts, or full squats. Some folks that like the gym, or track, are into them. I am not a trainer, but I do hire them and have been into this some 40 years. Full range of motion is not so beneficial.

If you have gears and a road bike a stomp stomp pedal stroke will generally create more power than a smooth full range stroke. A balanced muscle system does not generate more power / speed. Then there is the increased mass. Cycling is a cardiovascular sport. Lifting body mass takes energy. I have seen the neuromuscular results from super heavy weights more beneficial than generating larger muscles. The video below is old and I have posted it many times. This is a real good cycling set I recorded of junior at age 15 with real good results from the riders that did it. He has since started using a program from a USAC training coach. The routines are quite close.