Old 09-24-19, 01:25 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Cycling is a pretty diverse sport, and what works for 1 person won't work for others. I wouldn't tell a climber or TT'er to train like a sprinter or xc'er.

In 2014 -2016 I had a pretty solid good upper body and some decent guns. Think Spiderman. Back then I raced at 152-155 and probably could have went to 145. That didn't work for me. I was too heavy and didn't have the pop to justify that weight. This year I raced at 132-135, and vastly improved. Losing that mass the only thing I've lost is power under 30 seconds, everything else has went up, and in a light shell. I'd wager my crit performance would even be better.

This is a great conversation for general road cycling, but this is a racers forum. You have to find your niche and maximize it. For some that means keeping light by all means necessary. Its also why I don't read 90% of the weight training advice on the internet. Most are written by personal trainers, weekend racers, and bloggers trying to fill content. When Nairo Quintana starts doing bench presses then maybe I'll do the same.
Its all cycling Jeeves. There is specialization but its not that extreme.