Old 10-02-19, 09:04 PM
Balanced Rock

Bikes: Salsa Warroad, 1991 Yeti Pro Fro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hernia mesh hurts

I had a triple hernia repair 12 years ago. Last March, after upping my riding intensity, my left inguinal mesh tore and started causing pain. It took months to diagnose. My GP insisted it was a pulled muscle, give it six weeks, then give it more time. He is no longer my GP.

A surgeon finally diagnosed it. By that time you could feel the mesh through my abdomen. It had torn loose of its moorings and was rubbing against muscle and skin. I haven’t been able to ride since March. It gets painful after just a few minutes. Sex causes pain the next day, so I haven’t given that up.

Anyway, I see the surgeon tomorrow to set a date for removal and repair. He warned there could be complications with scar tissue. Of course waiting any longer will just create more scar tissue.

My advice to anyone considering hernia repair is to do it the way that worked for decades before mesh was invented. Tell the doc no mesh. It isn’t needed. Sutures are just fine. Sutures don’t shred inside you like a cheap screen door.