View Single Post
Old 09-25-20, 06:03 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
When I am riding on roads I always take great care to be aware of the cars around me. When I maneuver into the lane of traffic while going around people walking or other obstacles like leaf piles or debris, I always turn my head to look behind me before making my move. When I ride on roads with little or no shoulder I do my best to stay close to the edge of the macadam. This morning after I dropped my son off for his ride to school I was heading back and there were quite a few bikers out at 7AM. I found it interesting that several of them were riding out in the lane of traffic even though there is a big shoulder. He was crowding me making it difficult for me to pass him without me veering into oncoming traffic. I've read too many posts from other bikers on these forums who actually think it's their responsibility to "train" drivers to share the road by unnecessarily riding in the traffic lane even though they could be riding on the shoulder. I always give other bikers a wide berth as I go around them while I'm driving out of respect for the fact that often I am the one on the bike. But when I see a biker who has no reason to be in my traffic lane it makes me feel that that biker is trying to prove a point. I have no desire to hit anyone, but one day those same bikers may not be so lucky. Why do some bikers take that risk and make things so difficult for drivers in cars?