View Single Post
Old 09-25-20, 01:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by MntnMan62
... the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD is the not the domain of bikes unless they have nowhere else to go. .
That is in fact exactly the law in almost every continental state (I have only ridden and and thus researched 2/3 or 3/4 of them, but since it is the law in Every state I checked, I assume it is the law in the rest.)

The law says "As far right as is practicable" in all those states. The law also allows cyclists to take the lane, but lists a host of possible justifications, among which "training drivers to wait behind snotty cyclists" is not one.

Some cyclists seem to think "Share the road" means, "If I deign to, I will allow cars to use My road" instead of thinking "Let's all cooperate so we can all get where we are going with maximum safety and minimum inconvenience."

But I think I have wasted enough paragraphs on debating "Take the lane" versus "Share the road."

In this case the driver cut off a cyclist he didn't see. No harm, no foul, and a good reminder to look more closely .... but we all have our off moments. When we mess up and no one gets hurts, it is a good learning experience. Instead of saying, "I made an error but I never do anything wrong and am considerate so this error cannot be correctly identified as an error," why not just say "Oops. Glad he saw me when I didn't see him. Good wake-up call."?

The fact that a driver pulled out into oncoming traffic without being completely sure that there was a safe opening in traffic is the fact with which we are dealing. The driver Failed to see an oncoming cyclist---which is "traffic"--and pulled into traffic in a slightly unsafe manner. No huge deal---unless the driver denies the facts.

To say he would not do anything differently is ludicrous. Why wouldn't the driver take Greater care at that intersection in the future, knowing as he now does that there is a blind spot which can hide approaching traffic?

What, the driver will keep pulling out into oncoming traffic until he finally hits and kills a cyclist?

Makes no sense. ("Didn't work once, why not do it again?")

OP, you screwed up, in a very minor and understandable way. You pulled out into traffic without taking sufficient care to make sure it was safe. if you keep denying that .... well, it is your life to ruin through dishonesty. Hopefully you don't also ruin some cyclist's life by doing the same thing again and hitting him or her.
Likes For Maelochs: