Old 11-30-20, 11:56 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
I agree. This doesn’t look at all like the type of touring bike someone serious about bike touring would like to invest in - short chainstays, the rear rack looks weak, the mudguards don’t offer much protection.

In the immediate future, those interested in heavy duty touring bikes may be forced to look at the very few new (some underperforming) models still available, secondary market or buy custom. From my own experience, I bought a super versatile 26”-wheeled custom bike from Rodriguez Cycles in Seattle back in 2012. Hands down, the best investment of my life! This bike has served me as a serious tourer, as a randonneur (completed the Paris-Brest-Paris on it), as a gravel tourer (San Juan Huts in Colorado/Utah) and it is my regular “road” bike. The other bike I have is a 29er hardtail MTB for the more gnarly trails and singletracks.
I'm really glad to hear your bike lived up to your wishes and dreams. I remember it well and saved the picture of it. Most beautiful bike I've see here, by far. If it had a Rohloff I would ride it too. I also remember you decided against this. LOL.

In 2018 I was actually in their little shop. I had a DIY disc brake mount I wanted them to weld on. They said we don't do repairs. Pffft. One of their displays was a midget size frame with drop bars and it still had a 100 mm stem. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.
So anyway with their help I found Haulin Colin there. It took me all day to take my tour bike apart for them to work on, then paint it and put it back together. Turned out great.

My custom turned out like an ugly rhino, what I had planned. LOL. Indestructible and devoid of fiddly unreliable parts.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 12-01-20 at 01:25 AM.