Old 04-02-21, 10:14 AM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgregorj

How did your 8 speed conversion go? I'm ok with 10 speed in theory, but would really like a lower gearing than the 42-32 I have. I'm used to having a much lower gear on my newer bikes.
The conversion to 8-sp was pretty simple if I recall. The d//o spacing was opened up years ago due to running a 6-sp Campy Alum freewheel.
I already had a Sachs 8-sp 12-26 freewheel, a Chorus 8-sp RD & Sedis SL chain.
Was going to use 90’s Campy DT index shifters but there were no braze-on bosses on the Moto. So, the shifters went on another bike. Instead, I managed to cobble part of the previous Campy clamp-on shifters so I could attach a set of Suntour Accushift DT Shifters which are supposed to be 7-sp, but somehow, I can access all 8 speeds out of them...?
I happened to see a Specialties TA 41 tooth chainring for sale on eBay & I installed it in place of the 42.
Turned out to be a easy conversion, giving me, a more useable set of gears since I hadn’t ridden the bike for quite awhile. I usually ride other bikes w/ brifters...

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 04-02-21 at 08:14 PM.