View Single Post
Old 12-12-12, 11:28 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In another post you wrote that you want to set up camp before dark, so you have to be conscious of the clock to at least some degree. Also, that approach can be problematic in areas of the country where severe weather events can be a regularity. For example, if you are in an area at a time of year where severe hail storms are not uncommon, it can be prudent to start early and get done, or at least position yourself so that you are not caught out in the open. Competition for limited camping space may also come into play.

If you don't mind riding by yourself you can always go with others who travel at different paces, but it helps immensley if you are not dependant upon each other. For example, if you are the "rose smeller" but are also carrying the one community stove, your famished partners might not be so happy waiting for you. I would never tour in a situation where I was dependant upon anyone other than my gal. If I were with a group of people and was self-sufficient, or at least not dependant on someone who was signficantly slower than myslf and the person I was depandant on, when others finished wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to me.
One also needs to keep one's internal clock in mind. For instance, my job requires me to work afternoons and evenings, so I'm often fatigued by early starts for the first couple of days on a tour. Or if you are a slow riser, and linger over breaking camp, that will eat up clock time. My first camping trip on a bike tour featured three hours spent breaking camp. By the second GAP/C&O tour I'd had it down to 30 minutes or less.