Old 01-24-20, 06:14 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I view a complete new bicycle as a frame/fork with a bunch of stuff on it. In general, if the name on the frame is also making the wheels, cranks, brakes, and such they maybe on the lower end or risk some proprietary to it. The frame geometry is important as the combination of everything attached to it. That "everything attached" I end up swapping out to meet my needs and at some point it barely resembles the bike it once was except for the frame/fork. I wonder how so many people are happy with the bike as it is. Maybe I am just odd sized or picky about my components. Not really level of components but the size and fit. For example.. I'd take a Tiagra of my preferred size and chain rings over the wrong Ultegra every time. I want very specific drop bar style and size, I want a very specific MTB bar size, grips, bar tape, tires, crank size, gears, pedals and seat (last two are obvious). How are so many people buying a bike and it is just perfect? I could not image buying a bike and tossing off the cranks, wheels, bars, and some smaller things like a new stem and tires. The one with the bars I like or crank size I desire has 3 other things I wouldn't like. I'd think I'd be forcing myself to like it as is or use some type of fallacy to trick myself into thinking it is perfect. The grumpy old man just wishes frame/fork selections and select components were the norm and a general more cost effective option but I understand the market and why it's not. Done with my rant that is not related to this thread.