mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
hi Mev, interesting destination, august you say?
oof, sounds sweaty.
You know, I have noticed that some of my bike shirts breathe a lot better than others, and make a real comfort difference for me when riding, especially when its humid, but ya, it looks like you're going to be in a real sauna there.

geez, the only thing I can suggest is taking some of those powdered electrolyte paquets, cuz if you take that green shirt of yours, you are going to sweating up a storm.

when I was a young teenager, I used to hang around at a British Car Garage across the street from where I lived in Ottawa, just because I loved the cars that came in. There was a young mechanic, early 20s, who worked there and he was from Guyana (Indian looking fellow). Really nice, and I helped him sometimes after hours when he bought a souped up Austin Mini Cooper and was fixing it up. Back home they used to race Mini's a lot and he knew all the engine souping up stuff. I always remember going with him on the first test drive, and the wicked sound of the leaned on engine and the transmission whining beside us as he took it very quickly up to 90mph.....
not bike nor trip related, but I always think of him and that little Mini when I see Guyana in an article or whatever.

if we don't talk before the trip, have fun. I'm fairly certain they speak English in both countries no?
cheers
My classic (smelly) green shirt has been retired after seams started giving out. Looking for a loose-fitting replacement though not sure if better to have cotton or synthetic. In any case I expect to sweat into whatever shirts I bring - and trying to figure out what breathes better.

Guyana is a former British colony and Suriname is a former Dutch colony. French Guyana is part of France. So I expecting English, Dutch and maybe French on this trip. Mostly looking to follow roads along the coastal plain. I've found just a few CGOAB reports from other travelers.