View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 09:41 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime

Don't even sweat the mileage yet. One day you're going to look back at these first rides and smile about how proud you were. I remember when my wife and I got back into cycling, we were so proud we could ride 11 miles and only had to stop 3 or 4 time! LOL.
Those shorter rides that just stop you cold can happen any time. About a quarter-century ago my wife and I took a short break from riding. (I don't remember why or even how long, but it was likely just a couple months.) Prior to that break, we would ride 135 miles to the coast about every fourth Saturday and ride back the next day, so we had a few miles under our belts. Anyway, we were restarting so we headed out for what we thought would by a typical 30-60 mile ride through the local farmland. The county is laid out in a grid with each numbered road being a mile from the next one. We lived at Road 99. As we reached Road 95, we had both had enough so we returned home.

We still laugh about Road 95 to this day. It was just one of those days when turning the cranks didn't feel good and we weren't in the mood to push through to see if it all came together. As I recall, we did get it together in time to ride the annual local double century.
Likes For B. Carfree: