Old 12-02-19, 11:34 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
IGH.

If you must put a derailer on it for cost purposes, design the frame with sliding vertical dropouts (reliable ones with tensioner bolts, I might add - don't cheapen out here) so it is possible for end users to convert it to IGH and tension the chain properly. 135mm spacing would also be necessary, as it'd allow hubs including the Shimano Alfine to fit without playing around with the locknuts.

Come to think of it, it'd be nice if it could be offered as a frameset via special order. Frame + fork + stem/neck. Make sure replacement parts have a good dealer network to order from, and are broken down enough that someone can buy any of the specialized parts without having to buy half of a bike just to do a repair (and spend 75% of the bike's price just to get 20% worth of the bike's parts).

-Kurt
I’m liking IGH too and would put up with weight for a straight chain line (even when folded), but too wide of a rear triangle adds to the dimension of the fold. Also vertical dropouts may be out of the question depending on where your bike folds because of needed chain stretch.

Another disadvantage to IGH is that they’re pains in the butt to change tubes for rear flats.

Other thoughts:
- 24” wheels are a good size
- Create a bike which doesn’t use chains or belts, but which changes gears from the bottom bracket itself (I think I read Shimano has a new patent out for one of these)
- If your bike uses chains or belts, incorporate e-shifting options and get rid of as many cables as you can (don’t know if this is possible using IGH hubs)
- Forget about bikes and create puncture resistant 24” x 1.5” 100psi equivalent tires instead