Old 12-23-22, 10:36 AM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Good question and I don't know the answer. I suspect it's mainly Classified's focus on high-end lightweight road use. I presume the Sturmey-Archer system is much heavier. Also not sure about the torque limit with Sturmey-Archer? May or may not be an issue for high performance users.

Just Googling now I see the Classified Hub is already finding it's way into the pro peloton. Also some interesting pro/con points raised in this article

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cla...n-pro-peloton/

*Note: for all the cynical bastards, I have no link with Classified and don't give a **** whether or not you choose to spend £1000 on it!
The Sturmey three speeds aren’t unreasonably heavy, but people are used to thinking of hub gears on 50 pound Dutch bikes or old Raleigh Sports and other upright bikes. People just don’t think of them for other uses.

In that respect, regardless of how much (or how little) the Classified hub differs from the Sturmey system, Classified has done the right marketing push: Proving their hub in high performance applications. But everything old is new again…

By the way, the disc brake version of the Sturmey cassette hub will take an 11-34 cassette.

EDIT: Actually, all of their cassette hubs will. And you’re not limited to Sunrace (who owns Sturmey-Archer) cassettes.

Last edited by rudypyatt; 12-23-22 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Additional information