Old 02-13-16, 04:41 PM
efi

Bikes: Specialized Allez Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Buy a used bike for commuting, where it won't be sought by thieves, Buy waht you like for non-commuting, ride it pnly when it won't be left unattended.
Originally Posted by bikemig
+ 1,000 on this. You can buy a first rate used bike for commuting that will cost you less than $300 (which is the price you mentioned for a utilitarian commuter); used vintage mtbs tend to be reasonably priced and make first rate commuters.

You can post the bikes you find on the C&V valuation forum; we'll steer you away from the dogs.

You'll need to learn some basic wrenching skills (if you don't already have them) but you'll need those in any case if commuting.
Thanks - I think you both have a really good point. My commute is also only 3-4 miles each way and is on road, so I can really ride anything.

Originally Posted by dynaryder
Other than the brakes,the SH is a nice bike. Price is pretty much in line with comparable bikes from other brands. If it's what works for you, and won't cause financial problems,then I'd say go for it. Make sure you properly lock it,and maybe look into renter's/home owner's insurance that will cover it. This is something you'll use every day,not a toy,so it's worth it to spend on what will make you happy.
Thanks, dynaryder. I'd read that the breaks weren't the best, but didn't notice anything during the test ride. I think you nailed it with the bolded part - a $1,500+ bike purchase would be a bad financial decision for me right now. I think it'd be nice to have something better fitting, but I might wait until I have a little more of a nest egg saved up before pulling the trigger. That'll also give me time to learn more.

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
I don't know anything about the brakes, but I agree with @dynaryder that you are buying this for transportation, not as a toy. If the SH fits you well and makes you want to ride, then go for it. It is worth it, for me anyway, to spend the money to get what I like and what will work. It's especially great when you can find one bike that will do all the things you want. (By the way, I'm on a Bianchi Volpe and love it. But it's not a good idea to save a few hundred dollars for a bike that doesn't fit you as well.)

If storage space is not an issue, then it is probably worth looking around to see if you can find an older "beater bike" for times when you need to leave a bike unattended for hours at a time. It's also nice to have a back up bike for when your usual ride is in the shop.
Thanks. Storage isn't an issue right now. I think I'll look for an older beater bike and work with that for the time being. It'll be easier on the wallet, and it can then be my backup when I'm financially ready to have something that's a better fit.