View Single Post
Old 04-21-16, 03:19 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Uh-oh. I think I'm getting sick. Is there anything I can do in the next 48 hours that might ameliorate the impact and prevent me from totally sucking this weekend? Or do I drink fluids, get plenty of sleep and just hope for the best?

I rarely get sick so I don't really know how to handle it.
if you're truly sick, there's not much you can do to avoid it, but you can reduce symptoms and/or reduce the duration....maybe. who know? the stuff is never a controlled experiment.

fluids and sleep/rest/no workouts do you more good than any efforts, even if feeling good. sometimes light (z1/z2) stuff can stimulate the immune system a bit, but it's a fine line.

i figure we're all pretty much in the 'ride more' category at the point where we frequent this forum; this is a situation where 'ride less' is probably better.

i do the zinc and the C stuff. i also do saline sinus rinses (i like the neilmed aerosol rinses, personally).

check globalDRO.org for your meds, if you are thinking of racing.

personally, i fall into the camp of avoid meds as much as possible, but lately i've found that taking something during the day that reduces symptoms either helps the cold go away faster--or it just makes me feel better/more energetic/more productive while the cold is still there. i'm a bit less strict that i used to be; if you can take something that helps you sleep at night, your body will get repair itself better/faster, i believe (vs sleeping poorly, waking up constantly, coughing).

i get lots of vitamin C; you don't have to resort to those packets--there's plenty in fruits and vegetables.

some of that OTC nasal stuff is pretty good, like flonase. legal, too, last i checked (2 years ago). i've used it once in an emergency and it seemed to help (again, who knows for sure?). my wife loves it.

if you do race while sick, i believe you can perform really well, esp if you are rested and it is just a 1-day race...but i'd make sure to over-rest afterwards or you risk having things move deeper, getting a sinus infection, losing 4-6 weeks. ask me how i know!