Old 10-05-19, 08:48 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I have a '75 that needs the same thing...

One suggestion when choosing to put the good stuff on a Miyata Pro OR an Ironman, and it's the most credible I know, regardless of my Ironman bias.

Strip both to nothing but the frame, fork, headset. Hold them both, then put wheels (only) on them, and check the profile, re: aggressive stance. Then decide.

Otherwise, all that switching around may prevent you from building the Ironman.
That sounds like a solid plan going forward. What I generally do when comparing bikes is set both up similarly in terms of seat, stem, bar and seat height, and wheels. Then I ride both bikes for a few days to see how they feel. I’m much more tactile than specs oriented, so I usually trust my feel on the bike. So far, the 1980 Miyata Pro has been the most comfy of my steel bikes. But the Ironman may be a tad lighter, overall. I’m looking forward to getting a few longer rides in on the Ironman, although I’m not totally comfortable with the down tube shifting (at my age, I like to keep my hands on the bars). BTW, my informal family polling indicates a strong preference for the Centurion. They mostly look at the bike, then at me, and roll their eyes.