Thread: Addiction LXXIX
View Single Post
Old 08-10-20, 11:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Correct.

On the last longer ride I did there was a ~25mph descent on a road so rough I was legitimately concerned to be on 43 year old steel. The bike and I made it, but there are some really terrible roads here. I can deal with a rough road surface okay, it's the damn expansion cracks that produce a large jarring shock through the handlebars every 15 feet or so. There's one road in particular that has them for a good mile straight.
Around here, it's two things. First is that a lot of the roads need maintenance. Broken asphalt surface is bad enough, but then there are the places where a part has come up and you have a pothole. Second is that when they DO resurface the road, it's often rougher than it was before. The surface reminds me of that 'textured' plaster they used to do on top of sheet rock back in the 70s and 80s. It causes constant buzz through the tires, frame and bars, and you find yourself desperately seeking the smoothest line. Over a few years, it all smooths out as tires sweep over it.

Then they resurface again.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles