Old 05-06-18, 09:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
If I were buying another Garmin...I'd get the 520 regular actually. After a year or two the firmware finally settles out and units get stable. Buying a "new" (AKA released same model year) Garmin makes you a beta tester.

Which...well I'm done with Garmins (Edge: 205, 305, 705, 1000 over the years...yup Garmins have eaten a fair chunk of my disposable income). My Edge1000's power button broke on Friday, and a Wahoo Bolt is coming this week to replace it.
Well, there is that.... Garmin doesn't have a great reputation out of the chute. They do eventually get it right. Just to be clear though, this seems to be how all the main bike computer guys do stuff. Wahoo introduced the Elemnt and Bolt the same way - there were rapid fire updates, sometimes one a day, early on with the Elemnt and Bolt. Hammerhead Karoo is going through the same thing now. Given I tend toward the early adopter end of things, and that I hate when units are obsoleted on me, I'd go for the 520+. It just does so much more.

That said, I've gone to Wahoo and have been using their stuff for a couple of years now. I think it works better overall and it's so much easier to configure. I've had Garmin units from the 305 on with my latest being the Edge 1000, and I just don't like their UI or their displays. Setting them up is sort of like doing it in morse code or something. Wahoo nailed it with their set up smartphone app and their connectivity. I don't miss the color display that my Edge 1000 has (didn't look that great in the sun anyhow) and I really appreciate the high contrast of the Wahoo displays - they are so much easier to see.

I'm also fooling with a Hammerhead Karoo right now. That has the best display out there, bar none. But their stability in software is not good at this point. So remains to be seen but has a lot of promise.

Today, if you want a computer that is no nonsense and works out of the box, I have absolutely no reservations recommended a Wahoo unit.

J.