View Single Post
Old 05-13-18, 11:27 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I may well be wrong, but the bolt has maps and it's software will calculate a route based on those maps. All you have to do is give it a destination. The edge 520 will not. It will only follow a course that you create from an existinge ride you have done or import into it from another source such as RWGPS, Strava, etc.

The specs on the garmin edge 520 say that it has a basemap. I've never seen what the 520 basemap is, but on other garmin devices the basemap is basically just the interstate and highway system. The 520plus specs says it has the ability to load other map. That's something.... now at least you'll be able to see the trail you are on if you have the correct map. But I don't see where the 520 or 520 plus does any route planning as the Wahoo Bolt's specs seem to show. But admittedly I know way less about the Bolt or any other Wahoo compared to Garmin.

So to me any comparison of the two is seriously flawed if you don't consider what you are not getting with the Edge 520.

That said, I own about 10 or so garmin devices, marine, trail, auto, cycling and others. I regularly use an edge500. It doesn't have maps either. I don't need maps. I seldom use courses as they typically mess up at the one spot on the ride where I need them the most. But the Wahoo Bolt does give you much more bang for the buck, especially if maps and route planning on the device is something you want. But double check that I'm correct Bolt does route planning. Their marketing seems to alude that it does.
Assorted older Garmin cycling units had different maps of varying quality. The 810 I had was basic and useless but it was easy to install the OSM maps. The 1000, 520+, 820 and 1030 all come with the Garmin Cycling map, which is as good as the OSM and which gets free updates pretty frequently.

I liked my Bolt but found the map mostly useless, especially as the B&W image offered little detail as to what’s a highway, a 2 lane road, a river, a park, etc... as well as zero labeling of roads. As such I find the Garmin maps superior, with color a benefit when looking at details. As well, the Wahoo maps are completely road centric. With a Garmin you can add a OSM Topo map as example, if desiring to explore off road.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-13-18 at 11:31 AM.