Bike Forums - View Single Post - Aligning a Fork. Who's done it?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-20, 12:29 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
4. @Doug Fattic, thanks. I left out the dropouts. I have the Park tool, which is unusual for a non-professional mechanic, but I use them a fair bit working on my bikes and my friends' bikes. Interesting point about the misalignment possible. If I ever need to buy another set, I'll get a kind that is not subject to that problem. DIY ones might work. I remember using the Campagnolo ones, and they did feel more precise but also less versatile, i.e. fitting fewer sizes.
I shouldn't sound too snobbish about framebuilding tools. I do expect both myself and my students to make frames to the highest standards so good tools can really help. We use the Park tools in our workshop in Ukraine where we both make frames and assemble them into bicycles. Park donates a certain amount of tools to charities and back 15 years ago I applied and was given BB taps and fork crown reamer and a few other of their goodies. Of course I was extremely grateful for their gift and try to support them as much as possible. Here is a picture of part of our framebuilding tools wall that includes their dropout alignment tools.
Likes For Doug Fattic: