View Single Post
Old 01-02-11, 07:37 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Man, my second build is turning out to be more error-filled than my first. Of course, I'm doing almost all of the work on my own, but still...

* Need to go back and re-braze 2 bottle bosses because of gaps
* Gap in the top of the seat lug needs to be filled
* Gaps in 2 places on the top head tube lug need to be filled
* Mis-measured when I cut the chainstays, bringing them in to 417mm instead of the originally designed 425mm. Still have clearance, but still.
* Fit the brake bridge with 132.5mm dummy axles in place (I have a jig that fits on the dummy axle to locate the bridge), when the spacing is going to be 135mm. So, it's either put the bridge 2mm or so higher up on the stays, or get another and re-do. Still gives me plenty of brake adjustment, but still...
* Hit one fork blade (1.1mm) with the file the wrong way, leaving a slight divot
* Used too-thin sheet steel (21ga, I think) for my semi-wrap seatstay caps, so they're slightly distorted.
* The double eyelet fork ends didn't fit in the blade raker, so I had to cut one off of each.
* The headtube cable stops kept the frame from fitting properly in my mentors home-built jig, so I had to cut them off.

On the plus side, this is going to be a pretty utilitarian frame for riding to the store and riding around the neighborhood with my kids, so none of these issues are really critical, but still, my first frame went so well that I had some pretty high hopes for number 2. Also, I'm really going to be the only person who's going to notice any of these issues, but still...

Pete