Old 02-20-11, 04:06 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by newkie
Can I ask you a question about the kickstand plate? How does it attach to the bike? Are all part included for mounting it or is there additional bits to purchase?

I actually purchased a Herbie 636 on ebay but when I realized it needed a kickstand plate I cancelled the order and got a wide generic kickstand. It mounts the "standard" way, in my mind, sandwiching the frame behind the bottom backet. I suppose, if I had to guess, a kickstand plate is less likely to have lateral movement from a loose bolt.
This replacement kickstand plate can be seen here on the Hebie site. The part number is 699 40. The plate attaches with a bolt to the chainstay bridge. You need to order that plate from a Hebie dealer and the plate comes alone - you need to supply a bolt + a nut and washers yourself. (The chainstay needs also to have a hole.) Best would be to use stainless steel and use a nut with a nylon insert. The tolerance for the length of the bolt is pretty narrow. The plate costs around 5 euro in Germany.

The plate is out of plastic but, defying expectations, actually works. I have to warn, though, that I have not tried to break it. Without a plate, a kickstand supporting a loaded bicycle requires constant retightening of the mounting bolt, which, eventually crushes the stays. With this one, as fietsbob states, you still need to use the top plate that comes with the kickstand, but far less pressure is required to prevent the kickstand from turning. With the less than critical pressure the chainstays live on fine.

On my main bike I had a custom kickstand plate brazed on but have to warn that just brazing on a flat sheet of metal would not do. The plate needs more structure to work properly.