Old 09-12-15, 09:03 AM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Tetra, 2014 Norco Carbon Sight, 2016 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post
Interesting to read that skilled riders have the same frustrations learning to ride as a team. I would have thought the smooth pedaling of a good rider would have helped more than you mention. We are the opposite of cat 2 racers and after many miles we both have learned to:

Look over our shoulders unannounced,
grab bottles with public announcement,
and reach in our pockets all the time, and
I stretch my back no handed - well until my stoker says to stop that.

For new riders reading this thread we are not special. Experienced teams have to talk much less. There is a learning curve but it is a rewarding trip and in addition to the above it is neat to both act without a word exchanged. Every once in a while the bike is like a Ouji Board and we both believe that we feel the other accelerating through the sync chain so we each work harder so as to hold up our end only to laugh about it later.
I strongly agree.

Although my wife and I are experience riders, we still had a lot to learn as a tandem team. For our first ride, we were glad that the LBS owner took us out individually for basic tips (starting & stopping, communicating, etc) and try riding riding as the stoker and the captain. As a captain, it's quite the eye-opener to ride as a stoker. Since then we have learned more from other teams.

Even for a strong team, there is no downside to buying a good entry-level tandem. These kind of tandems are easy to buy and sell with minimal financial penalty. It will also be easier to make informed upgrade choices after putting on suitable miles. We bought an used Co-Motion Periscope because it fit us and was in good shape. After one season, we knew why we should upgrade to a custom carbon fiber frame, go 2x11 instead of a triple, get a good suspension seatpost, remove the front disk brake, etc. Although these equipment choices work for us, they may not work for another team. The point is that we could experiment and learn without making an expensive mistake. Nothing is sadder than buyer regret after buying an expensive ride that is not quite right.