Old 05-05-17, 07:26 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Yeah, it buys you about 1/2 a gear increment. I kind of wanted to get the Praxis since they are based in the same zip code I am, but I didn't think a 32 was significant. I can get a bigger gain by changing tires.

The Q-factor is larger, but it hasn't been a significant issue for me. However, I also over-pronate. (I got a lecture on it from my ankle surgeon, as if I was making some sort of morally delinquent lifestyle choice). My right foot also point out about 10 degrees, and as a consequence, I get a right heal strike occasionally at the center of the crank. This did not happen with the Shimano Ultegra crank (or my Campy Athena triple for that matter), or if it did, I never felt it because the profile of the Shimano Ultegra crank-arm is so smoothly rounded/tapered off.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would try the Sugino OX901D, primarily because I am not in love with the idea of having had to go back to square taper (and it would have been significantly cheaper). In addition, I was under the impression that the Sugino OX901D has a slightly smaller Q-factor than the Shimano Ultegra crank. (Double-check that, but I am pretty sure it is right.)
I heard someone, I think on RBR, mention that the Praxis spindle/BB doesn't get along with Di2 cabling FWIW.