View Single Post
Old 02-24-18, 06:27 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 890 Posts
If use is a token of love, then my old 700c Long Haul Trucker is my best loved bike, with ~12K miles to show for it. Back in August, I managed to round the seatpost constrictor binder bolt through an excess of zeal. I made a number of attempts to drill that out over the intervening months, until I finally took a Dremel to it on Thursday, cutting through the binder bolt (and the constrictor) with a shower of sparks (no picture of that, but it was dramatic), punctuated by a satisfying "POP!" when the bolt gave up the ghost (I really had torqued that sucker down...).

I replaced the defunct constrictor with a Paul QR Seat Post Collar: no more bolt rounding for me, at least not on that bike. I took the LHT out for a spin up to Depot Park this afternoon, temperatures falling from the mid-50s to the upper 40s. The LHT is still set up with Compass Snoqualmie Pass Extralights (normally, at this time of year, it would be wearing studded Schwalbes, but I seem to have spared myself that indignity through my procrastination), and floated along with pneumatic suspension to burn. Nice ride, and I rediscovered what I love about this bike, and these tires.

Something new in Lexington: some of the Minuteman intersections now have YIELD signs, instead of STOP signs. This feels like progress, if only because it more closely corresponds to actual rider behavior.

Got a good look at the beaver dam in Tophet Swamp.

The old farm at Wiggins Ave. in Bedford can still be seen, but only if you squint... with your third eye...

Had a couple of encounters with black squirrels, this one near Revere Street, Lexington.

rod