Old 05-04-19, 10:16 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Should I replace my 12-year old bottom bracket ?

Yeah,yeah, I'm aware this is a perennial question, and I'm also aware of the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but there's also something to be said for preventative maintenance, which is where I'm at now.
I've already searched the subject on the interwebs, and answers varied widely, so, here's the deal.......I have a 12 year old Deore-equipped Trek mtn bike, that I got on Craigslist about 8-9 years back, I'm plenty happy with it, and last year I put a solid set of new wheels on, and replaced a glitchy right shifter (as well as a new chain and cassette) .
Since I've observed that some further details should be included: I weigh 200-210-ish but don't ride it particularly hard at all. I have it set up as a road warrior, just doing steady, cardio/calorie burning rides, no off roading other than the very occasional dirt road.
It's never been rained on since I've had it, or been immersed in a creek, or power-washed, or anything like that.
I seem to recall having some creaks when i first got it, and pulled the cranks, cleaned and re greased the BB threads, and been fine ever since.
So, are these things generally good for thousands of miles, or is 12 years not a bad time to consider replacing the BB ? ( I e-mailed Trek to find out which one I'd need, then found them on-line for $22 delivered, so cost isn't really a factor).
thanks in advance for any good info or advice........

Last edited by Brocephus; 05-04-19 at 10:22 AM.