Old 06-13-19, 03:26 PM
RobWhite

Bikes: '81 Chris Kvale; '19 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
20 years later, are online bike forums any different? Back then I was on a motorsport forum and we only had access from actual computers, with the dialup speed interwebness, so there were probably less folks on bike forums, or maybe less "casual" questions asked, but do you see a difference?
Thanks djb. I hadn't thought about it. I literally have just been sluicing around the forum for the last few days, so I don't have enough to go on just yet, but I'd say probably little difference. Though as you say, a lot fewer people back then. Though there were still a lot of casual questions, even in a smaller circle on what was then a newer platform. Cyclists, like most other obsessives, ;-) can wring an awful lot out of the barest of minutia (and life is just endlessly fascinating because of it.) It does look like there are a lot more categories and a lot more information now that comes with the volume of people. I don't remember the platform I was on, but it was about classic and vintage race bikes, and is probably still around with some of the same people. At that time (around 1999 or 2000) I bought a beautiful refurbished 1981 Kvale racing frameset from the builder (Chris) based on a tip from Richard Sachs! I built it up with mostly modern (at the time) Campy components and have loved it and ridden it hard ever since. The LHT is my first new bike since then.

Thanks all for the input, good information. I think I will buy a cheap longer cable lock. Especially for camping overnight, just to help encourage an otherwise decent citizen from turning into a petty thief ;-)

(The cable lock would be in addition to something relatively small and robust, like a mini u-lock or folding lock, for situations as noted where you might want at least the appearance of more security.)