View Single Post
Old 06-14-19, 08:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7651 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
But hugging the curb invites claims of "I didn't see them! The cyclist/pedestrian came out of nowhere!"
Come on ... you are smarter than this.

If the driver can lie and say s/he didn't see the cyclist, s/he can say it no matter where the cyclist was in the lane. And the driver, who is already lying, will simply lie about where the cyclist was in the lane.

Unless there are winesses .... but even that doesn't matter.

You "prove" that riding in the middle of the lane is safer by telling about how a driver nearly hit you and all your friends who were in the middle of the lane. This is almost comical.

As I said above, the idiots will pass too close no matter where you are and the good people will give you enough room, or wait. Your own experience validates this, but you prefer to cling to the myth that the middle is always safer. The safety of the overtake is in the hands of the overtaker.

Some people will risk their lives and yours to pass, some will wait behind until it is safe, no matter where on the road you are. Your own stories here show that amply.

As for as whether the driver "acknowledges" me before he hits me, I really don't care. That is more BS.

I went out riding after my first response to this thread, and I paid especial attention to how much room people gave me. No one came within four feet and some people went entirely into the far lane ... despite me being on the right.

I am not telling anyone else how or where to ride ... but stop lying about the "dangers" of riding on the right. I am tired of people calling me stupid and timid because I ride safely differently than they do.