View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 11:29 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
In my jx, practicable is a legal term of art that means "as can be done in reasonable safety."

In roads without adequate shoulder, I use the "control and release" method. I ride far enough to the left so that a car cannot pass me without crossing the centerline. My experience is that once they get their head around the notion that they'll need to cross the line to pass, they do so and do not close pass you. Typically, that is in where the right tire of the car would be (also a good place to be, as you'll get less flats).

Even so, as they begin to pass me, I move over to the right. That gives them more room to pass, and seems to satisfy drivers that I know they are there and am trying to make it easier to pass.

If the driver is one of those that try to close pass me to "teach me a lesson" or what not, by using the control and release method, I have given myself a place to escape so they can't close pass me.

It requires a rear view mirror, but I really think that is the best way to handle it. Hugging the fog line with no shoulder is dangerous for all kinds of reasons.
Yeah I went down hard once riding too close to non existing shoulder. They had just resurfaced the road and left one heck of a ledge and when my front tire caught it , over the handlebars I went . Busted my face in 5 places and lost 12 weeks of cycling trying to heal. My doctor said I was lucky I didn't go blind when I busted my orbital bone. I also broke my left hand. NEVER AGAIN! Joe